The 104 (Centquatre) is a public cultural cooperative in Paris, open since 2008 on the site of a former municipal funeral parlor. The entirely renovated complex is one of Europe's largest artists' residencies: dancers, writers, painters, sculptors, designers and just about anybody with creative proclivities and something to contribute can exhibit in the large 29,000 square meter space.
Arts décoratifs, Musée des
No one can fault the French for failing to appreciate the finer things in life, and you can gain insight into their lifestyle at the Musée des Arts décoratifs. The collection consists of French furniture, objets d'arts, ceramics, glassware, wallpaper, tapestries, carpets and more. It also stocks glass pieces from Émile Gallé, René Lalique and others. You will also find more than 30,000 costumes from the 18th century to the present day here.
In 1896, the financier Henri Cernushi bequeathed his mansion overlooking Parc Monceau to the city of Paris, and with it his collection of art from the Far East aquired during his world travels. Completely renovated in 2005, it contains a remarkable collection of ancient Chineses art including neolithic earthenware, archaic bronzes, funeral statues and 20th century Chinese classical and modern paintings.
Cité de la Mode et du Design
Set in audaciously remodeled industrial buildings on the Left Bank is a new nexus of fashion and design. A nimble wooden structure, complementing glass and metallic elements, a grassy stretch for strolling… the Cité de la Mode et du Design is part events space, business conference space, restaurant and boutique zone and, of course, the home of the French fashion institute.
Located in a handsome listed townhouse in the heart of the Marais district, dating from the 16th to 18th centuries, the museum displays the art collections of Ernest Cognacq, founder of the Samaritaine department stores and his wife and Marie-Louise Jay. Bequeathed to the city of Paris in 1928, most of the works displayed date back to the 18th century (with the notable exception of two paintings by Rembrandt). Exhibited are paintings by Canaletto, Teopolo, Boucher, Fragonard, Greuze and Reynolds; pastels by de La Tour and Perronneau; sculptures by Houdo, Le Moyne and Clodion; Dresden porvecloai; gold and silverware, and furniture by renowned cabinetmakers.